Friday, November 4, 2022

Katie recommends "The Door of No Return"

For anyone who knows me, you know I love a novel in verse! Kwame Alexander’s new one does not disappoint.

This book is POWERFUL. The first book in a soon to be trilogy, The Door of No Return follows Kofi Offin, an 11 year old boy from Ghana in the 1860s. Alexander beautifully weaves details of Ghana’s geography and culture into the descriptions of every day life. I just felt an intense sense of dread as I read this, knowing that something awful was coming and I just…couldn’t stop reading. This book is beautiful, brutal, and a little bit hopeful.

I would recommend this to more mature middle grade readers (grades 5 and up), as some scenes include graphic violence. Definitely recommend to teens and adults as well. The audiobook is fantastic.

 

 

No comments: