Thursday, March 4, 2021

Melissa recommends "Just As I Am"

 

​​​​

I highly recommend the late Cicely Tyson's memoir, Just As I Am I found it compelling reading, notable for just the right amount of honesty and raw emotion.  Without gratuitous detail, she informs and entertains the reader about the struggles and triumphs of her life.  She is particularly protective when writing about her daughter, Joan, whom she gave birth to as a teen.  

This book expanded my mind and heart and gave me a fresh appreciation and admiration for the legacy of this legendary actor.  When reflecting upon the untimely death of her fellow actor, Chadwick Boseman, Tyson writes, "Rest in power, Chadwick."  I can only echo her words, "Rest in power, Cicely, rest in power."

Recommended for mature young adults to adults.



No comments: