Monday, January 22, 2024

Taryn recommends "The Swifts: A Dictionary of Scoundrels"

On the day they are born, every Swift child is named using the sacred Swift Family Dictionary, which not only gives them their name, but their definition as well. They are assumed to match their definition as they grow up. This story brings us Shenanigan (who is a risk-taker and a mischief-maker) who is getting ready for the big Swift Family Reunion. She is also planning on finding Grand-Uncle Vile’s long lost treasure. When someone shoves Arch-Aunt Schadenfreude down the stairs, Shenanigan is determined to find out who the killer is no matter where the adventure takes her.

I can’t begin to describe how much I loved this book. It’s laugh out loud funny and very clever. It was such a fun read and I actually learned some words that I had never encountered before. Someone described this book as Knives Out for kids I can’t think of a better description. This book also shows the importance of words, individuality, and defining yourself even in the face of other’s expectations. It’s full of games, wordplays, and plenty of mischief which I think both kids and adults will find entertaining. I recommend this book to upper elementary kids, a fun read aloud for those with children, and those looking for a twisty mystery. I also recommend having a dictionary handy while reading.

No comments: