Saturday, February 26, 2022

Meghan recommends "Asian Noodles"

 

February 6, 2022 was National Chopsticks day, and I picked up this book from a library display. My kids watch a lot of Anime, and my son insists he likes “Japanese noodles” but I’m pretty sure he just likes packaged ramen. I picked this up thinking it might help me expand our range of “Japanese noodles.” I was right!

Maki Watanabe, a Japanese chef and cookbook author, starts the book with a list of the different types of noodles used in the recipes, then the different flavorings, then a variety of toppings. As someone unfamiliar with most Asian cooking, I found this intro very helpful, and it gave me great ideas for new combinations. Many of the flavorings were not part of my pantry, and while I’m sure I could find everything at a specialty grocery, I actually found quite a bit at a large chain grocery.  The book has four sections, Tossed Noodles, Stir-fried Noodles, Soup Noodles and desserts (which are mostly not noodles.) I made the Five-Spice Pork Noodles from the Tossed Noodles section, and was very pleased with my result. It was different from my normal fare, and the 7-year old even ate it!

 

 

If you’re looking for a cookbook to help you get off the beaten path and try more authentic Asian cooking, I recommend this book.

No comments: