Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Phil recommends "The Book Thief"


In "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak, Death (a surprisingly likeable character) narrates the story of Liesel, a young girl growing up in Nazi Germany during World War II. Liesel's foster father teaches her to read and she soon discovers her love of words and books. In a time where money is scarce and books are being burned by Nazi's, Liesel begins stealing books to satisfy her craving for literature. When Liesel's foster family offers to hide a Jew in their basement, a friendship blossoms. Humor and likeable characters make this a pleasure to read. This book is appropriate for young adults and adults.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This book was excellent. One of the best reads I've ever had.

Kerry M. said...

I listened to this on cd - 12 hours!!! It was so worth it. I know that I missed a few things, including drawings that are in the book. I can't wait to pick up a copy and READ it for the first time.

While this book is in the juvenile section, it is definitely not just for teenagers. I would recommend this to everyone.

The characters are so real, including the narrator - Death. Hauntingly beautiful words and descriptions make you feel like you can 'almost' understand what the war was like for the Christian Germans who did not fight, or even approve of Hitler and his ideals.

I have never appreciated historical fiction but this story is truly amazing. I was hooked from the first paragraph.