Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Kathy recommends "Station Eleven"

Michigan Humanities Council is announcing the fifth round of Great Michigan Read, a biennial statewide literary program focusing on humanities themes. The Great Michigan Read aims to connect us as Michiganians by deepening our understanding of our state, our society, and our humanity. A statewide panel of teachers, librarians, community leaders and book lovers select the Great Michigan Read every two years. The 2015-16 Great Michigan Read title is Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel.

“When I first visited the Michigan lakeshore on a book tour in 2010, I liked it so much that I decided I wanted to set my next book there, and I’ve taken every possible opportunity to return to the area since then. I was delighted by the news that Station Eleven had been selected as a Great Michigan Read, and I’m very much looking forward to spending more time in Michigan over the coming year. It’s an honor to have been selected, and I’m deeply grateful.” ~ Emily St. John Mandel

“This novel examines the collapse of civilization after a deadly flu wipes out most of the world's population. Moving gracefully from the first days of the plague to years before it and decades after, Mandel anchors the story to Arthur Leander, a famous actor who dies of a heart attack while playing King Lear on stage.”  The subject matter of this book was not normally something I would have read.  However, it was my book club selection and to my surprise, I read the book in one sitting!  I was entranced by the story and thought about it for days afterward.  Beautiful, compelling, and entirely plausible.  ~ Kathy

For more Librarian recommendations, CMPL is pleased to present Chapter One on Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 7 pm in the Main Library Auditorium.  Four librarians will booktalk their favorite titles over the last six months. We will include fiction, nonfiction, and audio selections. You may bring a title to share with us!












No comments: