Friday, February 8, 2013

Kathy recommends "Tell the Wolves I'm Home"


“Tell the Wolves I’m Home” by Carol Rifka Brunt
This debut was my favorite read of 2012.  It is a coming of age story that hits all the right notes. The story takes place in 1987 and is narrated by 15-year old June Elbus, who stays with you long after the book is over. It is told in beautiful prose that gripped me from the first paragraph:


My sister, Greta, and I were having our portrait painted by our uncle Finn that afternoon because he knew he was dying. This was after I understood that I wasn’t going to grow up and move into his apartment and live there with him for the rest of my life. After I stopped believing that the AIDS thing was all some kind of big mistake. When he first asked, my mother said no. She said there was something macabre about it. When she thought of the two of us sitting in Finn’s apartment with its huge windows and the scent of lavender and orange, when she thought of him looking at us like it might be the last time he would see us, she couldn’t bear it. And, she said, it was a long drive from northern Westchester all the way into Manhattan. She crossed her arms over her chest, looked right into Finn’s bird-­blue eyes, and told him it was just hard to find the time these days. 
“Tell me about it,” he said.
 That’s what broke her.


Suitable for Adult and Young Adult readers



No comments: